Monday, February 19, 2007

Snack Jacks

First off, I have to admit that I am a food snob. Not just a little picky, but full-on outright food snob! My friends say I should be a food critic…if it wasn’t for the writing part, it might be the job for me. I rarely give a restaurant a second chance if they fail to impress on the first visit…it isn’t, however, the story with my favorite beachfront beer drinkin’, crab eatin’ hang out.

The first time I went to Snack Jacks was not long after I moved to Florida. A friend and I were driving about checking out the beach when we stumbled upon this beat up and battered looking establishment. I was totally disgusted when shown our seats…the table was sticky and the place smelled of rotten seafood, which made it difficult to see the really beauty here. The menu seemed to be full of fried this and that – I can’t even remember what I ate, but swore I would never go back.

The second time I went to Snack Jacks was prior to the preview of Norman Kent’s movie, Willing to Fly. The showing was at an auditorium not far from Snack Jacks so that seemed like the logical choice, plus the locals loved the place (I could not understand why, but followed the group). This time I DO remember what I ate…a crab cake sandwich with fires and a Heineken. I remember this distinctly because several hours later, in the middle of Norman’s movie I began throwing up. I tried to ride it out in the parking lot, but my head was pounding and I felt like complete shit. I decided to leave Ian to find a ride home and drive myself back to DeLand. At the time I didn’t really know how to get home, but was able to make my way back on Hwy 11, which is quite desolate and back woods country. I remember pulling over on several occasions to vomit and preying to myself that freaky Jason doesn’t pop out of the woods with a machete. Obviously, that didn’t happen and I lived.

2 strikes and the place is off my radar, right?? WRONG!! I don’t really remember my next visits to Snack Jacks or when I changed my tune, but it has become one of my favorite places. I’ve made a couple of beach jumps there, brought our dogs there for a nice lunch on the porch, been bitten by a Chihuahua, gone there to fly kites, we take all of our visiting friends and family there…it’s just a great place with good vibes and cold buckets of beer.

Kolla and Scott moved not too far from there so this weekend Ian and I drove up there to drop off a dresser and to go to Snack Jacks for lunch. Kolla and I both got our usual, Yuengling and crab legs…mmmm yummy! But were mostly disappointed at our meal…Kolla described our legs as dried up crab jerky (which pretty much sums it up). About an hour after lunch my tummy wasn’t feeling too good and I skipped dinner…but I didn’t complain and will most defiantly be going back for another round!! Any one want to join me??

2 comments:

lara kiyomi said...

I miss Snack Jack's, boo-hoo! Although I think I can get crab jerky here, too.

Unknown said...

if cows could blog....!!!!