Friday, March 23, 2007

One weekend, two funerals

Our sport can be so cruel. Over the years I feel as if I have become numb to death, but never the less, a weekend like this weighs heavy on my heart. This afternoon I will be attending Bob Holler’s funeral/ash dive. Bob was one of the most caring and generous people I have ever met.

Sunday I will be flying up to Georgia to attend the 2nd memorial for Danny Page. I’ve known Danny for 13 years now. He was probably one of the biggest assholes I’ve ever met, but I (as well as many, many others) still like him for who he was.

I know that people must die and that many of those deaths are untimely, so I don’t feel sad for those who are lost. My heart goes out to those who are left behind. Having lost someone really close, I know how difficult it can be. The grief sticks with you for so long. I’m especially sad for Dakota, Bob’s dog. There is no way to explain to her that her daddy will not be back…I think grief is especially hard for our animals. I still feel for my mom’s horses. I wish there was some way to let them know that she did not abandon them.

No comments: